常见翻译问题解答

英语习语的翻译及应用举例

(1) all in 筋疲力尽的


1. At the end of the race I felt all in.

比赛结束时我感到筋疲力尽。


2. He was all in, but he stuck it out.

他已经筋疲力尽了,但还是坚持到底。


(2) allow for/make allowance(s)for 考虑到;估计到;体谅;对……留有余地


1. It will take you half an hour to get to the station, allowing for the traffic delays.

把路上的耽搁考虑进去,你要用半今小时才能到达车站。


2. He missed the target because the wind hadn't been alowed for.

他没有射中靶子,因为他没有把风力估计在内。


3. In making assessment of his work, we must allow for his age.

在评定她的工作时,我们要考虑到他的年龄。


4. We should make allowances of her inexperience.

我们们应当体谅她缺乏经验。


5. You are a little chafed, but I can allow/make allowance for that.

你是有点不耐烦,但这一点我能体谅你。


(3) let alone 更不用说;不管;不干涉


1. He can't afford to send his children to middle-school, let alone college.

他连送孩子上中学都供不起,更不用说上大学了。


2. I haven't decided to make the plan yet, let alone carrying it out.

我还没有决定做这个计划呢,更谈不上执行了。


3. I haven't decided on the menu yet, let alone bought the food.

我还没决定吃什么菜呢,更不必说买好了。


(4) amount to (1. add up to; total 2. be equal to) 1. 总计;共达 2. 等于;相当于


1. The cost amounted to £250.

费用共达250英镑。


2. Our information doesn't amount to much.

我们的资料有限。


3. What you say amounts to a refusal.

你所说的话等于拒绝。


4. It all amounts to a lot of hard work.

这一切就相当于很多繁重的工作。


(5) Talk/speak of an angel and you will hear his wings.

说曹操,曹操就到。


(6) when angry, count a hundred 

每当动怒时,要冷静一下


(7) answer back 为自己辨护;辩白


It's wrong of the press to publish articles to attack the Queen when she can't answer back.

新闻界发表文章攻击女王是不对的,因为她不能辩白。


(8) answer for (sth.) 为(某事)负责;为(某事)受责


1. He has a lot to answer for.

他要负责很多事情。


2. You will have to answer for what you've done one day.

你总有一天要为你的所作为而得到报应。


(9) any old 任何一个;随便什么


1. A: What time do you think is OK for you to do it? 

你认为你什么时间做这事好?

B: Any old time will do.

随便什么时间都行。


2. A: Would you like to have a chance to study?

你想有机会学习吗?

B:Study? What? 

学习?学什么?

A:Sculpture—any old thing.

雕塑啊———什么的。


(10) any old how. 1. 随随便便的;马马虎虎的 2. 不管怎样;无论如何;反正


1. He was all dressed up in his Sunday best, but his hair was any old how.

他全身穿着节日的盛装,可是他的头发却是乱蓬蓬的。


2. It's something private. Well, any old how, I have to tell you.

这是件私事。哎,不管怎料,我得告诉你。


厦门翻译公司


获取免费报价

Trust is a bridge between you and me, commuication is the messenger